Environment Design - Fundamentals

Gabriella Grace Christyanti / 0371915
Enviroment Design/ Creative Media / School of design 
Task 1 Exercises (Fundamental)


TABLE OF CONTENTS 

1. Instructions
2. Lectures
3. Process Work

4. Final Outcome
5. Feedback
6. Reflection


1. INSTRUCTIONS


2. LECTURES

IDEATION

Before we make an environment design, there are serveral points we need to make sure we figure out:

1. Who lives in that locaation

2. What's their occupation 


3. PROCESS WORK

PERSPECTIVE STUDIES

In the beginning, we were introduced to the fundamentals of Environment Design. This served as our initial exposure to the subject, with guidance and instruction from Sir Kannan. As part of our first exercise, we practiced perspective studies by drawing five different objects using three basic geometric shapes. We sketched each object from various angles to develop our understanding of perspective, form, and spatial visualization.

During the perspective studies exercise, I found the pyramid to be the most challenging shape, especilaly when drawing it in three-point perspective, it took me a considerable amount of time to construct it accurately, but I continued praticing until I achived a better understanding of perspective. On the other hand, I found drawing cubes to be the most enjoyable because I was already familiar with their perspective and felt so much confident working with them.

Fig 3.1 Perspective Studies.Jpeg

VALUE STUDIES

For the Value Studies, we completed several in-class exercises to better understand how value can show depth and distance within a scene. We first photographed a tree and created a value study from it; I chose a bonsai tree as my subject. Later, we also completed a value study of a house within a 20-minute time limit, which helped train us to observe light, shadow, and tonal relationships quickly and efficiently.

Fig 3.2 Value Studies.Jpeg

CONCEPT DEVELOPMENT

After the fundamentals, we began exploring composition and environment concept development. I started by researching games, with Battle Chasers as my main inspiration. I studied its visual style and environment details, then created several temple composition sketches based on those references.

One challenge I faced was developing a strong visual identity. My early compositions lacked enough exploration, making it difficult to find a unique direction. After experimenting with more ideas, I decided to create a Snake Temple concept, inspired by Battle Chasers, The Mummy, and Conan the Barbarian. This gave my project a clearer identity and direction.

Fig 3.3 Composition Studies.Jpeg

AMBIENCE STUDIES

For this stage, I conducted ambience studies by exploring different environmental elements and lighting conditions. Through this process, I gained a deeper understanding of how ambience influences the overall mood and atmosphere of a scene. It also enhanced my ability to observe the relationship between light and shadow, allowing me to better communicate depth, focus, and emotion within the environment.

Fig 3.4 Ambience Studies.Jpeg

COLOR MANAGEMENT

For the color management stage, I experimented with different duotone color variations to explore which palette best matched the atmosphere and visual identity of the temple environment. This process helped me evaluate how different color combinations influence the overall mood and strengthen the intended ambience.

Fig 3.5 Color Management.Jpeg
WEEK 6

For the vignette set design, I focused on a close-up composition of the temple's main entrance. This serves as the player's first visual reveal before the full temple is introduced, creating a stronger sense of anticipation and impact. This study also helped me understand how composition and framing can effectively guide the player's attention and enhance environmental storytelling.

Fig 3.6 Vignette Set Design.Jpeg
PHOTO BASHING

For the photobash stage, I explored an alternative composition to improve the overall visual flow of the environment. By using photobashing, I was able to preview realistic materials, textures, and environmental details early in the design process. This helped me better visualize the final outcome and evaluate the composition before moving into the final production stage.

Fig 3.7 Photo Bashing.Jpeg

4. FINAL OUTCOME


5. FEEDBACK

.....



6. REFLECTIONS

EXPERIENCE

... 

OBSERVATION

... 

FINDINGS

... 

Comments