Environment Design: Project 1 Exterior & Landscape Design

Gabriella Grace Christyanti / 0371915
Environment Design/ Creative Media / School of Design 
Task 2 Exterior and Landscape Design


TABLE OF CONTENTS 

1. Instructions
2. Lectures
3. Process Work

4. Final Outcome
5. Feedback
6. Reflection


1. INSTRUCTIONS


2. LECTURES

The lecture was taught directly in class.


3. PROCESS WORK

Game Research 
....

MoodBoard

Before starting this project, I began by transforming the initial concept into a visual direction through research and ideation. Inspired by Battle Chasers, I decided to create a temple environment that captures a sense of mystery and adventure. 

To support this vision, I gathered a series of mood boards, drawing inspiration from the architecture, forms, and atmosphere of ancient Maya temples. This research established a strong visual foundation and guided the overall artistic direction throughout the design process.

Fig 

Fig

Thumbnail Sketches 

For the sketching stage, I first established the overall structure using reference images as a guide. During this process, I explored different compositions and experimented with scale to determine what best suited the environment. I also paid close attention to the environmental mechanics and storytelling, ensuring that the layout would naturally support the player's progression while creating a clear narrative buildup throughout the scene.


Fig

Composition Studies

For the composition stage, I explored several composition variations to determine the strongest visual direction for the environment. Throughout this process, I received feedback and revisions from Sir Kannan, which helped refine the overall design. I experimented with different camera angles, perspectives, and scale to create a more dynamic composition while ensuring the environment conveyed a strong sense of depth, focus, and visual storytelling.

Fig


Value Studies

For the value studies, I focused on understanding how light behaves across different distances by observing both the nearest and furthest objects within the scene. This exercise allowed me to analyze how lighting affects form, depth, and scale while improving the readability of the environment. By studying value relationships, I gained a better understanding of how light and shadow interact with different objects, helping me create a stronger sense of depth and visual hierarchy in the final environment.

Fig

Ambience Studies

For the final exterior, I selected Environment Design No. 1 as the strongest direction for the project. At this stage, I refined the overall ambience by experimenting with different color palettes, contrast, and lighting conditions. I carefully evaluated how environmental lighting and color influenced the mood and atmosphere of the scene. This process helped me achieve a more cohesive visual style while improving the overall lighting quality and enhancing the environment's sense of depth and realism.

Fig

Exterior Improvement 


4. FINAL OUTCOME


5. FEEDBACK

.....



6. REFLECTIONS

EXPERIENCE

... 

OBSERVATION

... 

FINDINGS

... 

Comments