Game Art: Exercise Foundational Design Studies

Gabriella Grace Christyanti / 0371915
Game Art / Creative Media / School of Design
Exercise Foundational Design Studies


TABLE OF CONTENTS 

1. Instructions
2. Lectures
3. Process Work

4. Final Outcome
5. Feedback
6. Reflection


1. INSTRUCTIONS


2. LECTURES

CHARACTER ART GUIDE

Sir Kannan gave us a reference on the process of character creation made in the Dota 2 Workshop.


3. PROCESS WORK

For the Game I use as inspiration, Sir Kannan was the one who helped suggested me the game. It's called Battle Chasers: Nightwar. I was not aware of the existence of this game in the beginning as my original game idea was Ruined King: A League of Legends Story. It has a similar design in gameplay and also in art style, and the same artists even worked on these two different games. 

I was not too proud of my exploration sketches in the beginning, I had little clue on the character i plan to make an I didn't like how most of them come out looking, I had more time to learn anatomy during the whole process of this module and looking back at this early stage makes me glad I've been able to improve so much.

There were also more ideation sketches further down the road. These also didn't look as good as I thought of them being. I didn't manage to fix any of these and they don't really end up getting used in the end result anyways.

Sir Kannan taught me that the muscles shouldn't be lines like how I did it. and I needed to learn Joe Madureira's style on how he does muscles for reference.

CHEST EXERCISE

Sir Kannan gave us an exercise to both learn about textures and learn how to use blender. This helped me a lot because I never used blender to make anything before this and at first, making this chest was really difficult. Im sure now with the extra knowledge I gain, I would have a much faster and easier time doing this.

3D BLOCKOUT

I worked on my 3D block out much earlier compared to the other people in my class, this helped with my progress as I was feeling very behind compared to the others during the ideation stage, but because of my previous knowledge in zbrush, I was able to catch up again with everyone in the class. 

Though despite my knowledge in Zbrush, I was not the best at anatomy and was really grateful for Sir Kannan for letting me join his anatomy classes whenever they're online.


4. FINAL OUTCOME


5. FEEDBACK

During the early stages of the project, Sir Kannan guided me towards using Battle Chasers: Nightwar as my primary visual reference instead of my original choice, Ruined King: A League of Legends Story. Since both games share similar gameplay and artistic direction, it became a more suitable reference for the assignment. He also provided valuable feedback on my exploration sketches, particularly on anatomy, explaining that muscles should be built through forms rather than simple lines. He encouraged me to study Joe Madureira's stylized anatomy to better understand how exaggerated muscles are constructed. In addition, he held online anatomy sessions, which greatly helped improve my understanding while I was working on my 3D blockout.


6. REFLECTIONS

EXPERIENCE

This early stage of the project taught me the importance of building a strong foundation before moving into the final character production. Although I was not satisfied with many of my initial exploration sketches, they helped me refine my ideas and identify areas that needed improvement. The chest modelling exercise also introduced me to Blender for the first time, giving me practical experience with another 3D software while strengthening my understanding of modelling and texturing. Starting my 3D blockout early also allowed me to catch up with the rest of the class and make better use of my previous ZBrush experience

OBSERVATION

Looking back, I observed that good character design begins with strong research and solid anatomical knowledge rather than jumping straight into detailed sculpting. Comparing my early sketches with my later work made me realize how much my anatomy and design skills had improved throughout the semester. I also found that consistent feedback and additional practice outside of class played a significant role in that improvement.

FINDINGS

This stage of the project showed me that early ideation is an important learning process, even if many concepts are not used in the final design. Researching the right artistic references, studying anatomy from experienced artists, and experimenting with different software all contributed to a stronger final outcome. Overall, these exercises provided me with a solid foundation that supported the more technical stages of character production later in the project.

Comments